January 26, 2020

Treatment Options

Many Social Security disability claimants begin seeking treatment by reporting  symptoms to their family doctor.  While your internist’s medical records can be helpful to document the length of time that you have been suffering with myofascial pain, joint pain, trigger points, fibro fog, and fatigue, you should seek treatment with a rheumatologist or pain management physician for a formal fibromyalgia diagnosis.

Although the exact reasons why you have been afflicted by FM/CFS remain unknown, there are some specific diagnostic criteria set out by the American College of Rheumatology.  These diagnostic criteria have become generally accepted within the medical community and your Social Security judge will give substantially more weight to a fibromyalgia diagosis from a specialist using the ACR criteria than a general observation that you “have fibromyalgia” issued by your family doctor.

Furthermore, Social Security judges expect to see an on-going treatment record – not just one or two visits several years ago.  The need for regular medical treatment is especially relevant in fibromyalgia cases because judges often see fibromyalgia exhibit files that contain records from multiple doctors with various specialties.  FM/CFS patients often go from doctor to doctor searching for a cure and voluminous medical records in these cases are common.